Following its successful first year of operation, RCES is extending its portfolio of buildings to cover a radius of 10 miles from the centre of Reading. As a consequence, the Society is seeking owners and users of suitable buildings to have renewable energy facilities (such as solar and possibly other technologies) installed on their buildings at no cost.
Building owners and users will benefit through:
- RCES purchasing and installing the renewable energy facility at no cost to the building owner;
- The building owner/tenant will be able to purchase electricity generated at a preferential price, guaranteed for 20 years;
- Demonstrably supporting the uptake of low carbon technologies, and supporting local community initiatives through the Community Fund
- Optionally, invest in the scheme itself, to benefit from the projected shareholder returns
Buildings that are particularly suitable for partnership with RCES include:
- those medium or large buildings (with suitable roof space of greater than 100 m2 requiring an installation of over 10kW)
- those that have a single occupier and a single electric meter
- those using most of the electricity generated
- roofs that are largely south-east to south-west facing and unshaded, of a construction that will enable safe installation of these panels.
The buildings that are most likely to fit into these criteria include schools and colleges, offices, museums, medical centres, care homes and leisure centres, as well as commercial buildings such as factories, technology centres and retail stores.